Northeast Nebraska Community Action Partnership

Healthy Families Program

Contact Us to Apply Now

Individualized parent and-child-focused support

This one-to-one, personalized program is designed to meet your family’s specific parenting needs, whatever they may be. Every family has strengths to build upon. A Healthy Families Advocate will work with you to support you, your child, and your family.

We believe a child’s first and most important teacher is his or her parent/caregiver.


Partnering with a Healthy Families Advocate can give you:

  • ideas to help you bond with your child through daily interactions and play.
  • information about milestones and how to support your child’s development.
  • assistance accessing needed community resources.


  • Live in the 14-county service area (Service area includes the following counties of: Antelope, Burt, Cedar, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Dodge, Knox, Madison, Pierce, Stanton, Thurston, Washington, and Wayne.)
  • Be pregnant or have a child under 3 months of age
  • Be a willing participant
  • No income guidelines

How We Help

  • Ages & Stages child development screenings
  • Educates from the Growing Great Kids curriculum
  • Healthy Families is voluntary; however, requires active participation
  • Home visits to address any questions and/or concerns
  • Participation in Healthy Families is typically three to five years

Funding for Healthy Families is provided by Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health.

NENCAP is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. People with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information should contact the Agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800)877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866)632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202)690-7442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider.